Friday, June 10, 2011

The times they are a'changin!

Years ago, as I was growing up, my parents were strict and I was basically law abiding. There were always allegations of 'stronger than necessary' enforcement of laws. However these were made by those I suspected skirted the law and ethnic communities accusing police of racism. I'm of European descent and was never affected, so I wrote it off to them being "sore losers" or being
too sensitive!
First they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I'm wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemoller (1892-1984)

Even I, as dense as I am sometimes, nearing the age of 60, have to admit that they might have been right all along! I was just too busy raising the family and trying to eke out an existence that I failed to notice!
Unfortunately I think the police forces, sorry, services, have changed as well. It is a well paying job and no longer a career as some in policing have told me. They, as well as us, feel helpless when criminals get their wrists slapped and put back on the street shortly after the extensive paperwork is done! What is the answer? I don't know!
Political correctness, corruptness of all sorts, lack of civility, arrogance, and pride have all contributed to rot our society from within.
I have met the enemy and it is us!

No comments: