Sunday, July 31, 2011


I was on Twitter yesterday and noticed a tweet from the Prime Minister's office (PMO) saying that they're calling upon the Syrian government to free their people. I don't want to imply that it's not a worthwhile cause but shouldn't we mind our own business?
Who are we, the world's moral conscience? Why don't we create a society where we care about Canadians as much as we profess to care for Syrians. Then the world can use us to look upon and hope to become. If people anywhere are not happy with their condition shouldn't they overturn and get rid of their unwanted systems of tyranny? When they decide. Not us.
Our government should concern themselves more with domestic policy.
Anyone else so indignant with conditions elsewhere can still freely decide to get on an airplane and go there to help, anytime.
I will not curtail anyone else's freedom by putting them into harm's way to bolster my international ego.

1 comment:

Peter Wright said...

Absolutely correct, the West has done enough damage interfering in other countries domestic affairs.

Prime example, peaceful prosperous Rhodesia where nobody starved turned into the basket case of Zimbabwe with tens of thousands murdered because the West - Canada included forced the legal government to hand over control to terrorists.

Bad as Syria might be, if just 51% of Syrians choose to support their government, who are we to assist the other 49% in a revolution.